The letters of our thoughts are the ideas present in our mind before they come to realization . . . Thoughts that are, yet not felt . . . The words of the subconscious . . . of the soul . . .

These are the LETTERS OF MY THOUGHTS.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

How Far?

Based on a my comment to a post by A Simple Jew

I think that most American Jews themselves can not understand their desire to visit their ancestral lands. This Shabbos in Vilna people came to the Chabad house, many of them hoping to stop by 'their' shtetlech . . . It's interesting how their grandparents fled from these places -yet we call them ours.
It is the eternal question of man.
I am here . . .
I am a part of a whole . . .
Yet how do I fit?
If only we would all know where to look.
We go because we are looking for shleimus -for a completion or connection that we hope we will find in our roots.
We must know that our true shleimus comes through keeping the torah . . .
Only there will we find true meaning and roots. What is to be gained from our shtetlach is only supplementary . . . yet the mystery still draws us there.

Related links: Ancestral Lands

4 comments:

A Simple Jew said...

Perhaps discovering our roots helps us attain shleimus in Torah.

Through my search I attached myself to the tzaddik of my family's ancestral shtetl.

Mottel said...

True . . . but how many people do gain this connection?

A Simple Jew said...

Not many...

Mottel said...

Which is why the danger there within should be kept well clear of. Just like the Religion of Holocaust, or of the Land of Israel . . . there is good there is good there -but one must tread with cation.