The letters of our thoughts are the ideas present in our mind before they come to realization . . . Thoughts that are, yet not felt . . . The words of the subconscious . . . of the soul . . .

These are the LETTERS OF MY THOUGHTS.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Traif, Williamsburg, and Trolls - a Redux

Yay! I've got mail!

It seems my little post on the new non-kosher joint down in Williamsburg, Traif, has brought out the tragically hip . . . and boy do they want blood!

My new friend East Coast Girl (who has a brand new profile created this month - with only one page view when I clicked through to it) has shared her two cents . . .







 EastCoastJewishGirl 





said...

Clearly you haven't a clue as to what the restaurant world is about, and you are equally as clueless as to Marcus's concept. Rather than whining like the disgrace you have made yourself out to be, just walk the other way. This is a very talented guy that is making his dreams come true by setting up shop in a cultural and artistic neighborhood filled with interesting patrons who aren't afraid to experience delicious food. THAT IS WHAT THIS IS GENIUS, FOOD AND PEOPLE, PEOPLE AND FOOD. I am Jewish, born and raised and have the utmost respect for my, OUR religion, so much that I wish uneducated idiots such as yourself could somehow just have a religion of your own. You make us all look like fools when you speak in your naive and bitter tongue. Please crawl back into your dark hole and do what you probably do best, keep to yourself. FYI, this restaurant will continue to thrive and if the controversy exists, as it does, it will only help. You are so yesterday my friend, and for lack of a better word, so pathetic at best!

My response:

Dear EastCoastJewishGirl,

Thank you very much! Do you come to this blog often, or were you merely trolling around google for blogs to complain about? If you come here often, you may know that I haven't had a good debate in the comments field in ages - so thanks!

That being said, I have two pieces of advice for you - you may not understand them as of yet, but when you're older, you'll know what I mean . . .

1. Attack the idea, not the person. You may disagree with me. You may be right. However, comments such as: "clearly you haven't a clue as to what the restaurant world is about, and you are equally as clueless as to Marcus's concept."
or "so much that I wish uneducated idiots such as yourself "
or "You make us all look like fools when you speak in your naive and bitter tongue. Please crawl back into your dark hole and do what you probably do best, keep to yourself."
and finally "You are so yesterday my friend, and for lack of a better word, so pathetic at best!"

are entirely uncalled for! (Oh my! In searching for examples of ad hominem attacks, it seems I've just about quoted your entire comment! Golly that!)
Instead of insulting me and attacking me with baseless and ignorant statements, why not show me why I am wrong - so that even a boor like me could understand your far more enlightened beliefs.

2. Make sure you've actually read the post before launching your attack. It is very clear from your comment that you never bothered reading my blog post. Perhaps you saw comments on other blogs that bothered you, perhaps you were just having a bad day, but you seem to have, at best, only skimmed my post.

So let me reiterate:
I get the humor of the name Treif. I'm very familiar with the often biting and ironic nature that Jewish humor can take on at times. I may not always like Roth or Heeb Magazine or what . . . but I respect the legitimacy of their styles. So i get the idea behind calling the place Treif.

I also don't have anything against Marcus - I would never call him a bad Jew - that's something he said about himself . . . and I disagree. Do I like the idea of reveling in non-kosher food? No. It is my hope that all Jews make steps towards observance. But it is not in my place to criticize those that are in a different place then me.

My one, and only, complaint is against Jason's remark that his non-kosher restaurant could help unite the Jewish community. It is a ridiculous concept.

You see - my qualms have nothing to do with religion - only false statements as to the nature of the place.

So thanks again, and I hope to hear from you soon!


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

10 comments:

Staples said...

It's so annoying when people get all zealous over what they think is an insult to their own 'ideals' when they are completely missing the point!

since I actually READ the post:
Traif is such a funny idea, I actually like it. It's witty. but, 'meeting place for all Jews'? 'Bring the community together'? Bull. more like 'make money and get free press off a funny name'

Mottel said...

thanks! I just hope our new friend subscribed to comments - so that she'll be able to respond!

Staples said...

haha I'd love to see that

Gruven_Reuven said...

Mottel, same thing happened to a mutual friend of ours when she blogged about the Restaurant. One of her readers admitted to posting Anonymously for the sake of their friendship then blasted her with her comments. Friendship??

What I find amusing is the folks that are so Zealous to comment in defense of this establishment have to "hide" behind an Anonymous or newly created profile.

Why hide? Why the hate? Can't they express their ideas/opinions in a civil manner.

tracy said...

So, um...i guess this doesn't mean you were in W i l l i a m s b u r g , VA? 'Cause then i would have been mad that you didn't stop by and say Hello! :)

Good Shabbos,

tracy

e said...

subscribing

Just like a guy said...

Subscribing.

Mottel said...

If you guys just subscribe and don't comment - aint nothing to follow here!

e said...

We're hoping the eastcoastgal will come back.

Mottel said...

So an I!