The letters of our thoughts are the ideas present in our mind before they come to realization . . . Thoughts that are, yet not felt . . . The words of the subconscious . . . of the soul . . .

These are the LETTERS OF MY THOUGHTS.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

WIC and the Lubavitcher Rebbe

This is worth a look . . .
The Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, of righteous memory, provided the inspiration for the federal Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, known by its acronym, WIC, according to new information gleaned in an interview with a former Senate aide . . .

Follow the link to see the whole story here

There have been some doubts cast on the story, see Millhouses's comments here.

What can be noted though is that if Mrs. Chisholm did indeed speak to Bob Dole about the idea, he was involved with Food Stamp Act of 1977 . . .
(Of further note, though Humphrey enacted the WIC bill, Chisholm could have indeed come up with the idea during her brief encounter in the Department of Agriculture)

Technorati Tags: , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is David Luchins- I am a bit stunned that no one bothered to check with me about this matter. Incidently, I worked for Hubert Humphrey in 1972 and am familiar with this piece of legislation (and never worked for Senator Clinton, but the truth seems irrelevant to those with agendas). Bob Dole served in the House BEFORE he becama a Senator. As for this story,If you listen to the interview (instead of flipping out because an Orthodox Jew said something nice about a lady of colour) I never claimed that the Representative created WIC - only that she told us this stirring story about being inspired by the Rebbe to use her new position to help feed poor people and working with Bob Dole (and ,yes, Hubert Humphrey and Carl Perkins to do so). Its her story- not mine. She obviously thought enough of the Rebbe that she repeated it with great love decades later. What part of that upsets you so?

Mottel said...

Dear Mr. Luchins.
Perhaps I should start off by saying that I am in fact honored that you chose to comment on my Blog, and that I don't ch"v doubt the honesty of your words.
I had originally posted a link to the article from chabad.org because, as I wrote, it was worth a look -i.e. I found it interesting and worthy of note.

When I saw further writing about it on blogs that I follow, I made note of it as well -in an effort to give as complete an image as possible.

It is, however, due to my respect for your words that I looked around for a possible connection, and thus suggested that she mentioned the Rebbe's words during her encounter with the Department of Agriculture. . . this in fact seems to be in keeping with what you write.

I am sorry that after making the effort to share an insightful story of the Rebbe, certain members associated with Chabad chose to lash out against you, I am at loss to what would motivate them as such. I can only tell you, as I mentioned before, that I am not upset with what you said in any way.

david luchins said...

Thanks for your explanation - I was hardly upset at you- only perplexed as to why a moving story engendered such fury- I suspect a lot of it has to do with race, gender and general anger at those of us who move in several worlds without swearing loyalty to any of them.