The letters of our thoughts are the ideas present in our mind before they come to realization . . . Thoughts that are, yet not felt . . . The words of the subconscious . . . of the soul . . .

These are the LETTERS OF MY THOUGHTS.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Eastern European Jew -Today

The Jew in Eastern Europe of yore . . . and today

I've done my time in Eastern Europe . . . it looks to soon be up.
It's been interesting to say the least.
The Jews living in this world seem to be some sort of enigma -to me at least . . .
Why have they stayed in these lands.
I am not bothered by treading on blood soaked soil -there are few places in the world not tainted by the death of their Jews -perhaps Antarctica alone is clean.
Besides these claims often are brought in tandem with Zionist arguments . . .

I realize that many could not leave the Iron Curtain -members of my family were amongst them . . . even today many are pinioned to these countries by the Communist legacy -be the social or economic out comes . . .
Yet it still feels odd.
I've spoken to Polish Jews who refuse to visit the Concentration Camps -a crime by most Western Jewish Standards-
"Why?" I asked him.
"Because I don't want to be depressed. I'm a living Polish Jew -not a dead one."
And, in truth, in many ways he seems to be right . . .
After all -who would want to be thought of as some strange anachronistic dinosaur . . . his home and life associated with death. Life moves on . . .

Is there a place for Jews in Eastern Europe . . . as much as any other in the world . . .
but as for future?
In the long run, no.

But then again, where in Golus (Exile) is there?

As a side note, the person in the above picture is in no way associated with the opinions of Eastern European Jews -in fact he has since moved to Israel . . .

4 comments:

A Simple Jew said...

Are you returning to the States for good?

Mottel said...

For the summer I'll be, G-d Willing, in Venice, Italy and Troyes , France . . . after that, as we say here in Lithuania (err Russian) Б-г знает, G-d only knows.
The word verifcation this time looks oddly Polish -Przfml (in Polish it would be read pshfeml)

Anonymous said...

Ho,Ho,Ho,Reb Krakovsky on Picture!

Hmmm....

Regards from Polishe Brooklyn Yidn!

Mottel said...

I'm not sure what you mean . . .
and please, no anon. comments.